Thursday, January 28, 2010

on a serious note...

I may just be an emotional person, but one thing is for sure: nursing school makes me cry at least once a week. These fits of emotion are occasionally brought on because of a heavy work-load or stress (the problem there is usually my own procrastination), but more often the crying results from stories shared by professors (accomplished career nurses themselves), case studies read for homework, or being bedside in the hospital with a dying patient. I never realized the emotional repercussions this line of work would bring. In many ways I feel like I haphazardly wandered into this career path without considering how HARD it is.
The photo above is of my friend, Anjali, who recently started sessions for a tattoo to commemorate the 2 year mark since her mother's death. I initially (and rather ignorantly) opposed this idea, but the conversation that she facilitated turned out to be a great eye-opening experience. Emotions and coping mechanisms are as varied as the billions of beautiful people who inhabit the earth.
My instructors constantly remind me that we are human, and a life devoid of passion would mark us as emotionless robots, not as compassionate caregivers. I guess it is not only okay, but expected that one will have intense feelings associated with death and dying, even in the workplace. Further, these feelings will be expressed in a myriad of medias. I'm taking a palliative/end-of-life care class this semester which has brought on a greater level of reality for me.
I'm grateful for unique opportunities that have allowed me to explore my ability to express empathy and consider losses (actual or anticipated) in my own life. Confronting these issues will hopefully aide me in being not just a better nurse, but a better friend, daughter, sister, aunt, etc.
I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this matter!

2 comments:

  1. Just when we think we understand life, our paradigms are shaken. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you. I see you're also dealing w/ the balance of when to "preach" and when to just love and be empathetic. I just read a great book about a nurse dealing w/ loss and supporting others through hard times...fun mystery novel "Masie Dobbs." Incase you don't have enough homeweork.

    ReplyDelete