Sunday, January 24, 2010

The curious incident of the mouse in the night-time


(if you're not sure what you're looking at here, these are pictures of L.Ro and I from our old Bean Museum taxidermy days at BYU. Don't ask.)

As I was walking out of Wal-Mart at 3 AM this morning in my pajamas and slippers- during a blizzard, mind you- I decided that I definitely need to get a husband (or at least a live-in boyfriend or male roommate- sorry mom and dad) ASAP. As I swerved my way home on the snow-covered roads devoid of other cars, I envied all the other people of American Fork sleeping peacefully in their beds.

Flash back to earlier when I was laying restless in bed (and had been for hours) absolutely convinced there was either a serial killer or a small animal rustling about in my room (not sure which of these would have been more terrifying). After working up enough courage to turn on my small bedside palm light, to my sheer horror I found- a mouse (!!!!!!!!!) sitting atop a picture frame on my wall. I sat crouched on my bed, completely paralyzed, stifling back screams that would surely wake up the whole house, trying to reason with myself. Try as I might, the strong, independent, confidant woman that I had been just hours ago (before learning that there was a rodent in my bedroom), had vanished and left a weak, helpless, scared little girl in her place, longing for some manly aide to take care of this problem. Knowing that I was too wired and terrified to sleep, let alone stay in the room, I slowly moved to the door, put on some slippers (after making sure there were no mice inside), grabbed my keys and headed for any store that would sell me a mouse trap at 3 in the morning. Upon returning from the store, I tiptoed into my roommate and woke her up like a frightened 4 year old after a bad dream, asking: "can I sleep with you tonight?"

I sincerely hope that the mouse doesn't resurface (dead or alive), I would much rather him/her find a new home elsewhere so that I don't have to kill it, but for my peace of mind, the traps lay all over the house. Not sure where I'll be sleeping tonight, but I hope it is more peaceful and less eventful than the last! If there are any strapping, brave young men out there who would like to come help a damsel in distress by either trapping a mouse or running pesky errands in the middle of the night, please comment here.


Leslie, I could may soon need your expertise in stuffing mice.

3 comments:

  1. We had a mouse in our apartment. We set some traps but I couldn't sleep for days. Exactly one week later we heard the snap, but didn't realize it was the trap. Later that day our friend Kenny came over. He happened to look behind the fridge and said, Uh, guys, you caught a mouse! I didn't even look, but I slept better that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how i miss taxidermy days. there's nothing like turning a dead animal inside out and then stuffing and sewing it like teddy bear. ew. we just had a mouse- we came home from Guate with mouse poop in our bed, sliverware, plates, everyhwere. We set a trap and about 2 hours later heard the snap. I didn't even want to look- Clay said he was a handsome desert mouse- orange and white...with his head smashed and bloody. It made me sad! I wish we could live peacefully together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I am not a man into who's arms you can fall during times of distress but maybe one day our dream will come true of being roommies and I think I can handle the mice and you can handle the unloading of the dishwasher ... that's my least favorite house hold job. Someday, my friend, some day.

    ReplyDelete