Thursday, December 17, 2009

la tortuga morada


The Purple Turtle is a mainstay in Pleasant Grove, UT. If you've ever been up American Fork Canyon you've probably driven by, or at least heard of it. Seeing as I am a North-Eastern Utah County resident, I thought it only appropriate that I finally dine in and see what is so darn special about the place. First and foremost, TPT gets 5 gold stars (out of an arbitrary 5) for their creative decor. I love love love it when local businesses stick with a theme or when they incorporate regional activities and landmarks into the decorative mix. They nailed both of these aims by having several water color paintings of turtles doing various outdoor Utah-themed activities.

The food is your typical diner-style fried stuff and was pretty average (with the exception of the juicy, far-above average burgers). It was also rather expensive for "fast food;" almost 10 buckaroos for a burger and bland fries. They really pride themselves on their fry sauce (word to the wise: it isn't really that good). My expert tongue took only one taste to pinpoint the so-called secret ingredient: miracle whip instead of mayo.

You'd think that by charging $13.49 for a fish basket and fries, the Purple Turtle management could afford to replace this frame glass; apparently not. Prognosis: I will probably not return to the Purple Turtle, however I thoroughly enjoyed my visit.

3 comments:

  1. maybe if we replace the glass for them they will give us a lifetime of free food! cuz thats the only way we will eat there again, for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard their shakes are the only good thing there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott grew up around the corner from there and could share some insider details... I've only been once. But you gotta love the name!

    ReplyDelete