Sunday, February 21, 2010

a Sunday miracle

I know I write about food quite a bit on this blog, but only because it warrants special attention in my life. Many years ago, when I was a proud subscriber to "Seventeen" magazine, I read a quote by Tyra Banks that read, "I eat to live, I don't live to eat." Apparently she was trying to reveal her big diet secrets and convey how she kept her figure as a supermodel. Most 15-year-old girls would have read into this article and thereby developed major body image issues. I however, rather than starving myself, found great sorrow in this philosophy and somewhat pitied poor Tyra. I live my life to the exact opposite of her mantra: I live to eat. Perhaps this attitude explains why I’ve never graced the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition and why I am not the host of “America's Next Top Model” (*side note: this show might be my biggest guilty pleasure in life, I can and will watch it for hours), but I’ve found myself to be an above-average happy person living this way. That being said, I’d like to tell you a little story.

Being a church-goin gal, I’ve sat through many Sunday School and Relief Society lessons in my days. Some of the teachers are good, some not so good, and some are excellent: they bring treats. After sitting through my first two meetings today and listening to my grumbly tummy, I contemplated where I might be able to find some food in the building. After visiting the kitchen and finding nothing, I was left only to hope for a delicious treat in Relief Society. Upon entering the room, I looked for any clues that might hint at possible goodies. Major indicators of RS treats generally include:

-kitchen towels covering small to medium sized humps

-distinct smells (my closest friends will tell you I have the nose of a blood-hound)

-elaborate centerpiece or table displays (usually someone who goes all out, will go ALL OUT, if you know what I mean)

-object lessons (typically the food detracts from, rather than reinforcing, the implied message since most of the partakers develop single-tracked mind aimed solely at obtaining the baked good. As the plate is passed around, people -i.e. ME- are far more concerned with choosing the largest cookie than with the lesson itself. Regardless, I still warmly welcome food/object lessons.

-Holiday Sundays (Christmas, Valentines, etc…)

-teacher of the day: most wards have a token (or two if you’re lucky) treat-maker, and the one Sunday out of the month on which they teach cannot and should not be missed.

After surveying the area, I realized there was an extensive table display with a few Reese’s PB cups here and there. There was also a side table mysteriously covered with a jacket. My initial thought was, “well, something’s better than nothing. I only have one more hour to go until I can go home and eat.” Little did I know that I was about to witness the greatest Relief Society miracle of all time. Two minutes into our lesson on free agency, the teacher uncovered the side table to reveal the following:

-gummy Bears

-M&M’s

-homemade blueberry muffins

-donuts

-Reese’s peanut butter cups

-brownies

-carrot sticks

-snap peas

-cherry tomatos

-peanut M&M’s

-sour gummy worms

-chocolate chip muffins

-peanut butter bars

I thought I was dreaming. Seriously. The added bonus was that there were large quantities of everything listed AND our Relief Society is rather small. Never in my life has such a spread of deliciousness been made available to me during church. This is a day that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Here's the take-home lesson kids: go to all of your church meetings. You will be blessed.

8 comments:

  1. blessed teacher. but out of curiosity, what was the object lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no way you heard any of the lesson, right? Side note: when you move into a family ward, make sure you get put in Young Women. That's where all of the treats are (unless the YW President is vegan).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why Relief Society > Elders' Quorum. It's a miracle if the teacher has read the lesson before coming to church - treats are unheard of - the sort of thing that you tell your grandkids about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha ha ha!!! the best part is that you looked in the kitchen for food before you even got to relief society! ha ha ha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We must be friends because last sunday the teacher passed around the bowl of DOVE CHOCOLATES andI was in the back corner close to the door (in case Bennett decided to freak) and as soon as she handed the bowl to the front corner farthest from me i was SO worried that it would never reach me and if and when it did that they would be all gone. Like you said - in stead of listening I was watching that bowl travel it's way around the room. It got to a lady who was confused on which way it was going and where it had been so she stood up and put it back onto the FRONT TABLE!!!! I made a face like "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!! I DIDN'T GET ONE!"
    My friend saw my face trying to hold back the laughter and being the saint that she is - she stood up and grabbed the bowl off the table right in front of the teacher and brought it back to me. Thank goodness for good friends and chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beck, that was my favorite part too! cam and i reread that part once we finished the whole post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jinnay, i laughed so hard that i cried when i read your comment.

    lauren, i always knew i'd like that husband of your's. he seems like he can appreciate good humor when he sees it.

    ReplyDelete